05 May Do it for the ‘Gram: 9 Tips to Use Instagram for Your Business
I adore Instagram, and I think it’s because, as a writer, I’m a storyteller. Tales and anecdotes make up the ocean in which I happily swim, so I find Instagram’s mini-views into life as it unfolds irresistible!
But what if your brand is more about your readers, customers, or clients than about your own life? No worries! You can utilize Instagram to tell your brand’s point of view too!
Instagram is unlike any other platform in its singular focus on captivating imagery – giving brands an avenue for rich visual storytelling. When considering how you will use Instagram, think about what’s unique about your brand and how you will share it with the world!
Here are some I’ve provided on how to start using Instagram for your business:
- Start with clear goals.
- Consider how Instagram fits into your overall brand marketing strategy.
- Is your objective to increase awareness, shift perception, or reach a new audience?
- Pick a goal or two that can be achieved by connecting with Instagram’s highly visual and creative community.
- Choose themes to tell a cohesive story.
- Choose story lines that are authentic to your brand and are best conveyed through captivating imagery.
- Create posts that follow these themes for a diversity of content that also remains consistent over time.
- Take the time to create high-quality content.
- Work with your brand or creative team to produce images and videos that are well-crafted and feel at home on the platform.
- Or, if you’re a one-person shop, take some time to learn from other brands and popular Instagrammers and follow their lead.
- Account Name
- Choose an account name, ideally your business name, that’s easily tied to your brand.
- Profile photo
- Simple is best! Use your brand’s logo or a graphic symbol. Keep in mind it will be cropped into a circle and appear as a 150 x 150 pixel image (that’s pretty small) on most phones.
- Keep captions short and fresh. Incorporate a few hashtags (a max of three so they don’t detract from the simplicity of the post). Ask questions to engage people.
- Commenting & liking
- Use hashtags, location and Photos of You to find others’ images of your brand. Engage with them by liking and commenting on their images.
- Include the location of your photo or video when it helps tell the story of the image. Use the Add People feature to tag accounts in your image when they will help you reach a broader audience.
- Image tools
- Edit your images with filters and other tools available in the Instagram app. These effects give images that unmistakable “Instagram” look that people respond to.
- Image subjects
- Post photos and videos of beautiful and unexpected moments that also feel authentic and immediate. Whether your subject is a person or an object, capture it in a context that gives a sense of your brand’s identity or point of view.
Now it’s your turn to start telling your story!
Connect with my business on Instagram by searching @DENORPR.